In the spirit of the fall season, I decided to make a mouth-watering version of the classic baked donut… apple cider donuts. Now you may be thinking that this sounds difficult to make, but I am here to completely prove you wrong. This recipe involves simple ingredients you most likely will already have on hand, as well as steps no harder than mixing with a wooden spoon. So, before you settle in on the couch and start watching Christmas movies or Netflix, get into the kitchen and whip up these yummy apple cider donuts.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider (may need more or less depending on consistency wanted)
- Firstly, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two donut pans (12 total donuts) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a smaller separate bowl, whisk together the apple butter, apple cider, brown sugar, white sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until combined and no lumps remain.
- Fill the donut pans 2/3 the way full in each hole.
- Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the center of a donut comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk all of the ingredients together until it is smooth and has reached your desired consistency.
- Lastly, simply dip each of the donuts top half into the glaze and let them set up for about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Once you have made these apple cider donuts, you can give them away as a gift for someone, make them as a fun breakfast for your family, or better yet, just eat them all yourself… I surely won’t be judging you. Also, if you loved this donut recipe, try out my amazing oreo donuts. I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe and I hope you are enjoying this fall season!