Today we are tackling one of the biggest trends in today’s food world… desserts that look like different foods, but, that taste like sweet treats. It can be so expensive to buy a cute cake from a bakery, and the cake I’m showing you today costs just a few dollars, depending on what you already have on hand. Today we are making a cake that looks like a pineapple, but tastes like a cake. Call it a food impostor!
- 2 9 inch cake rounds (whatever flavor you want)
- 4 cups of yellow frosting (I used buttercream)
- 1 pineapple top (just slice off the green stem part)
- Star piping tip
- Piping bag
- Cake stand or plate
- Start by applying a small amount of frosting to the bottom of the cake plate. This will help the cake stay in place as you decorate.
- Next, place the first cake round on the plate.
- Spread about a 1/2 cup of frosting on top of the cake using an icing spatula, or even a butter knife would work.
- Place the second cake round on top of the first.
- Now, use about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of frosting to cover the entire outside of the cake. It does not have to be pretty, just get everything covered.
- Once, you finished covering the whole cake, place it into the fridge for 45 minutes, to help the frosting set up.
- In the meantime, fill up a piping bag (fitted with a star tip) with the remaining frosting.
- Pipe small stars around the entire cake, by piping small bursts of pressure. There should be no spaces between the stars.
- Lastly, stick the green pineapple top on the center of the cake.
I hope you liked this fun cake decorating idea! It was super easy and enjoyable to make. This cake is absolutely perfect for any of your summer parties, and I highly recommend whipping this cake up.